Saturday, August 30, 2008

Clatsop Plains Pioneer Cemetery Slideshow with brief history.


Hi- On my back from the Washington Coast, I stopped by the Pioneer Presbyterian Church (founded 1846) near Warrenton, Ore. For years I have been curious about this pioneer cemetery. I was on a time schedule, again, so I only took a few photos. One can find a lot of history on that cemetery land.

Plaque over the front door of the church states; In memory of William Henry Gray and Mary A. Dix Gray. Pioneer missionaries of the Whitman Expedition and Charter members of this, The First Presbyterian Church in Oregon and the oldest continuing Presbyterian Church west of the Rocky Mountains, organized September 19, 1846. The original building was erected on the site by William Henry Gray in 1850.
By their daughter Caroline A. Kamm

Photographs of the bell is of the Gray Memorial Chapel Bell. Donated in 1849 by Chester Bell who removed it from Alderbrook Presbyterian Church in Astoria, when it was closed at the end of World War II.

Cemetery sign says; Clatsop Pioneer Cemetery. Established in 1850 on land donated by Robert Wilson & Irwin Morrison as a "common burying place for all persons wishing to bury in the same, free of expense."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Craig -

A very informative blog post today with very professional looking photos. Thanks for the great information!

Anonymous said...

Great information, great photos.

I'm somewhat amazed by old cemeteries with tombstones. I don't see many in myh region. I always wanted to take pictures like that.


For the most beautiful Blue Sapphires, Pink Sapphires, White Sapphires, Sapphire Rings (or any other kind of Sapphire Jewelry), check out http://www.TheNaturalSapphireCompany.com

Anonymous said...

Hi- Thank you for your comment. Many of the stones that I am listing on Find A Grave are of the older nature. I hope that I am preserving history by recording these markers. Also, I find some of the art work quite amazing.
Again, thanks.
Craig.